My parents are celebrating their 58th wedding anniversary today! Since I am the worst at sending cards I decided to proclaim their secrets to a strong, happy, healthy, humorous marriage. This is also a test to see if they read my blog!!
#1. My parents always put God first. We prayed before meals, went to church on Sundays and Holy Days. I doubt it was easy preparing 7 children for church and making us behave, but they did it with a little help from above!
#2 They put their relationship second. As long as I can remember my parents had a date night every Saturday night, even if meant one of us had to go without shoes. (ok exaggeration) They knew to love each other was key to being loving parents.
#3 Selflessness. I can honestly say my parents were never selfish. They did not have time to worry about their wants, they put their energy into raising 7 children and still today being loving attentive grandparents and great grandparents.
#4 Communication and honesty are key. Just recently my mom told my dad he should not be outdoors with his shirt off as it was not fair to the neighbors. Now that's tough love!
#5 Arguments. A strong marriage has to have disagreements. My parents still argue daily,
#6 Persistence. Never stop trying in a marriage. My dad still argues with my mom even though 95% of the time she wins. My mom just reminded me the other day about having the phone number to the bar memorized years ago. He was late for supper and she kept calling. True love!
#7 Value relationships over money, power, and material things. My parents have old friends, young friends, left and right friends! Basically, my parents accept everyone.
I know I failed to make a top 10 list for my parent's successful marriage but 7 is such a powerful number and fitting for them. They have 7 children, God rested on the 7th day, and mom and dad did too! 7 is a lucky number and my parents like to gamble. There are 7 gifts of the Holy Spirit, my parents attend daily Mass and are continually blessed. There are 7 basic musical notes...oh wait my parents can't sing. I better stop before I stretch the truth!
Happy Anniversary to an amazing couple!
"Feel the Rush"
As a nutrition coach, I was once told not to label food as good or bad. Food is whatever we choose it to be. Some people may say cake is bad, but in all honesty, most of us enjoy cake while celebrating special events! Many would label spinach as good, but for some, it could cause gut issues or gag reflect:) With this knowledge, I realized being picked up for speeding on the interstate this holiday weekend was however I chose to perceive it. Staying with a positive mindset I chose "good" for many reasons.
1. I was blessed with the opportunity to communicate with my family. Countless members informed me that driving 86 mph is asking for a ticket. My brother in law (my insurance agent) also sent me a beautiful sermon about speeding on Snapchat! I am grateful for their "better late than never advice".
2. Not only did I get a speeding ticket, but I also received a "2 for 1". My license apparently still had my old address from 3 or 4 years ago, OOPS! I have 30 days to get a new one and present it to an officer to sign. I am currently on the lookout for officers!
3 Fear of the DMV. I am happy to say I have conquered my fear of waiting in line for hours upon hours at the DMV!
4. I had the opportunity to prove myself right. (love when that happens). I preach constantly that kids will not change behaviors without consequences attached to their actions. I guess this holds true for adults too!
5. I am happy to say I am currently driving like an old lady, safe, slow and annoying everyone around me.
6. l enjoy analyzing behaviors, this was the perfect opportunity for me to ask myself why I was traveling so fast. I decided I must drive like I run. I don't like following people in a race unless I am using them to draft! I like to be with the front runners if at all possible and then just settle in with the flow of the race. Silly reason/ excuse I know, but it is the best I could come up with besides the fact I hate driving.
Finally, as you enjoy the summer remember you are in charge of creating positive experiences from life events. I send you this lesson free of charge! A big shout out to the officer for allowing me to pay $124.00 and an hour of my time at the DMV for this valuable lesson. By the way, I know anything free is usually not appreciated.
"Feel the Rush
Today is the first day of the rest of your life. What do you want your life to look like? The amazing thing is the choice is yours. I have spent many years of my life being passive, allowing things to happen to me. How many of us are spectators in our own lives? I know I was for years. I watched my energy decrease. I was tired, bloated, and had brain fog. Most days I woke up only to look forward to my next nap.Then I began an active quest for energy, peace and joy! I can honestly say it was a long journey, which I am still on. I am no longer looking for the magic pill! Magic hacks....yes! At 51 I feel more energetic than I have in years. If I were to give everyone the top 3 things to allow you to live your life with energy, peace and joy...